Sunday, March 05, 2006

House of Ill(ness)

Max and I have been sick. He got a cold and cough on Tuesday that turned into fever and an ear infection by Thursday/Friday. A few days of antibiotics and he is recovering. I was holding my own until Thursday, but after starting the week tired from my cousins visit and little sleep on Tuesday and Wednesday I went down for the count. I can’t remember feeling so crappy in quite a while. Poor Max had to sleep in his car seat for a couple of days because he had so much mucus that he started choking on it. I had a hard time keeping his fever down on Thursday night. Alternating between Tylenol and Motrin every three hours and keeping him stripped to his diaper kept it to around the 101/102 mark. Poor guy, by that point all he could do was lean his head on my chest and moan and cry. He would drift off to sleep, start coughing and crying…repeat. I have had the chills and sweats on and off all weekend, not to mention a cough, congestion, sore throat and body aches. We have spent a lot of time taking baths this week to ward off the chills and help break up the congestion.

It goes without saying that being a mom, especially a single one is much harder when you are sick. Yesterday was the hardest because I was feeling my worst and Max was starting to recover. We had a battle over his evening antibiotics. For the first time ever, I got really pissed at him and had to talk myself down. At 6 months, this kid can give me a run for my money. Good thing there is extra in the bottle because one serving was lost when he grabbed the syringe out of my hand and threw it on the floor before I could bat an eye. Another serving was lost as he spit it back in my face. He is a quick learner. He no longer opens his mouth to cry because that is when I would make my move. He refused to open his mouth. Little stinker. I have no idea how much he did or didn’t get on Saturday night before I gave up. Today, I came up with a new strategy that is working so far. Fill the syringe with the proper dose and put little bits of this on a baby spoon and feeding it to him. I figured it was worth a try and if he spit it out, it would be less lost. However, he has taken it well this way both times today.

While we weren’t on our death beds, it really was pretty bad around here. Yes, the dogs still did get their walks in, but it was sure painful. My hips and joints were so achy. We took it slow and got really, really late starts both days. Tonight, I wheeled Max in the stroller instead of carrying him in the Bjorn because his 15 lbs has been feeling like 50. The fresh air and change of scenery did us both some good.

While it is only 6:30, I am going to make another cup of hot tea; take a warm bath; and go climb back in bed.

I have to travel and leave Max for the first time in Tuesday. Boo Hoo. I hope we are both well on the mend by then.

No comments: