Monday, September 19, 2005

The Nanny/Day Care Situation (a.k.a Why do I have to work?)

It’s back to just me and Max today. I dropped my cousin off at the airport last night. It was great having her here. She really was a big help, not with Max per se, but with getting errands and shopping and other stuff done for me. Not that she was unhelpful with Max, she helped where she could most of the time, but when you are breastfeeding, there is only so much that someone else can do to help. As much as I enjoyed her company and her help, I am glad to have the house back to myself (and Max) again for awhile. It has been a nice low key day today with just the two of us hanging out and a nice long nap for both of us.

One of the things that has been on “the list” that I started taking action on today was finding a Nanny/Day Care for Max. Can you believe that he will be 5 weeks old on Wednesday? Thank God that I don’t have to go back to work at 6 weeks. I don’t think I could do it. Physically, yes. Emotionally, no!

I came to the realization as I started taking action (and pondering on my procrastination on this) on how much I don’t want to go back to work. For the first time ever in this process, I wish I was married or someone else was covering the bills so I could stay home full time. I love my job and am very good at it. I just love Max and enjoy being able to spend almost all my time with him even more.

I have even started pondering taking longer than I thought at reduced pay. I need to run the numbers and check in to check the political climate because things are changing and I do need to support us in the end no matter how much I dream of a miracle that can allow me to stay home. Depending on day care options/nanny, it may not be as cost prohibitive as I originally thought to have the reduced pay. I don’t know. Like I said, I need to run the numbers and think this through a bit more.

I need to talk to my benefits department, but the way I calculate it, my go back date is either October 31st or November 1st. It seems like it is just around the corner. Never has time gone by so fast as since Max is here. I got together with some friends this weekend and one asked what I do all day. I had a hard time answering. It seems like I don’t get much done except feeding, changing, and caring for Max. Before I know it, one day has ended and another has begun. I thought I would be bored and have tons of down time. It just hasn’t happened. I’m not bored at all and just love it.

Going back to work is going to be very, very hard. Not just from a scheduling/logistical perspective, but mostly from an emotional one. I could cry now just thinking about it.

1 comment:

Deb2You2 said...

Hi nancyalaska - I work in corporate america, but from home full time. So, I will be here with the person reducing the risk significantly. It will still be very hard though. Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. The flexibility of your job sounds great! Debbie