Monday, September 12, 2005

Blessed Computer Time and Other Hodge Podge of Topics

Boy, I sure miss having time on the computer. I have been feeling serious withdrawals. Seriously. My mom and sister were over yesterday afternoon and I thought about being really rude and not visiting with them and spending time on the computer instead. But, I behaved myself. It was hard.

Jen - Email me at deb2you2-email@yahoo.com and I will give you my phone number and get you information on the local SMC groups. We just had a meeting with one of the groups on Saturday and it was a great time. Nothing to be nervous about. It is a group of the nicest women around. The next meeting is already set for next month. I think they are the second Saturday of the month usually around 11ish – 2 ish or so.

My cousin is off doing several hours of errands for me. Very nice. Max was sleeping, but is starting to wake up. Maybe I can get this finished before he does and wants to be fed? It really is great to have her here. She has only done 2 things to annoy me so far.

Last night, Max was a tad fussy. He was in one of those snack all day moods and only sleep for 20 – 30 min. at a time.

[ha ha Max just woke up and I am attempting to feed him and type one handed…just shows you how desperate I am for computer time since this method is very slow.]

The problem with the hang out on the boob snack all day routines is 1) the boobs get sore 2) he doesn’t get enough sleep which makes him a bit fussier 2) I can get nothing else done, including taking a good nap which makes me a bit less patient 4) because I was so tired, I fell asleep for a few min. with Max on me breast and he latched wrong causing my nipple to be extra sore. My cousin took the dogs for the night time walk for me and left me to feed Max. He fed, but didn’t doze off and was starting to get fussy, so I put him in the sling and decided to walk him for awhile. I saw my cousin on the way back with the dogs and took them with me for a longer walk. I got Max into a nice sleep state which I kept going when I got back by rocking him outside (because the rocking chair/glider I ordered in June still isn’t here, but that is a whole other story). After about an hour, my cousin offers to take him for awhile so I hand him over and give the dogs some attention and brush out Shadow.

[break to do a needed diaper change and move laundry from washer to dryer and to put Max in his crib since he seemed so content]

Not 10 – 15 min. later, Max is screaming. She decided he needed a diaper change and he woke up while she was doing it. Well, duh!!! She hands him back saying he’s hungry and wants to eat. I was pissed, but didn’t let it show. I really wanted him to sleep at least another 30 – 60 min. He needed it and I needed the break. He could have lived another 30 min. without having his diaper changed. Next time, I will be more specific and tell her that I want him to sleep and not to do anything to wake him like change him. I know she did it without thinking about it, but still. Sigh. Like I said, my boobs and I could have used a bit more rest time and the dogs could have used a bit more attention. A lesson learned. I did not clearly state my wishes.

The other thing she did to annoy me was put a cookie in his car seat carrier with him when she was carrying him to the car from the SMC meeting yesterday. The crumbs got all over him and the car seat. She said she would clean it, but she didn’t before I needed to use the car seat again so I ended up doing it. Yes, this is minor, but I don’t typically eat in the car or walking around. She and her kids do and it makes a mess. I am told that as Max gets older, this will change. Maybe it will, but for now, I just find it plain annoying.

These are just two very minor things. All and all, she is great to have around and has done a lot to help.

I left Max with my cousin this morning and took the dogs out alone. He was sound asleep and I would have had to change him before I took him because Terri had put him in a sleeper bag last night after changing him and I couldn’t latch the car seat with him in it. This would have woken him up, which would have required a feeding, etc… This technically isn’t the first time I left him because I have left him with my neighbor, sister, and/or cousin watching him at night while I took out the dogs. On those occasions, I felt free and really okay with him not being with me. This morning, I felt like I was missing a vital body part. I was so not expecting the emotion behind this. Maybe because it was my leaving in a car or for a longer period of time, but I had to restrain myself from calling several times and getting impatient with the dogs for walking too slow so I could get back to him. Terri was just changing him and he was crying to be fed when we got back 85 -90 min. later. She said they had just woken up and he just started as I walked in so the timing was great. I do believe her. It was so great to just hug him and have him in my arms again. I wasn’t expecting it to be so hard. I had to fight the tears and kept thinking how glad I am that I work from home.

[break to feed Max from right side which I can’t do and type at the same time]

My youngest sister is such a prude. She had a soccer tournament in Orange County and had her ride drop her by my place so she could visit my cousin and Max (and presumably me) for a few hours and ride back the rest of the way with my mom. When she arrived, I was on the couch feeding Max. Two of her players came in (girls under 12 team?) to use the bathroom. I jokingly said something like, “the parents don’t want to come in for a few minutes too. I have a cute baby I can show off.” She replied, I am sure they don’t want to see your breast hanging out. I responded that breast feeding is perfectly natural and not offensive in any way. She said something like “as an authority figure, I need to watch what the girls are exposed to”. I held my tongue, but wanted to go off on her since I was in my house sitting on my couch breastfeeding my baby in which barely any breast could be seen anyway since Max was attached. You could have seen more on a flimsy bathing suit. I did restrain myself, but am still amazed that she commented and felt that it was any way inappropriate. Whatever.

I met the most interesting man while hiking the other day. Before you go there, he is married and I am sure he thought I was married since we started taking when he saw Max in the sling. But, we talked for at least 30 – 45 min.. I think we could have spent a few hours just talking. We went through a whole range of topics and he gave me a book recommendation of “Punishment by Reward” (I think). I’m going to have to pick it up. It was just a nice encounter. I haven’t met anyone so interesting and easy to talk to in quite awhile
Okay, Max has had his fill of me being on the computer. Must go attend to him and then maybe get a real nap in today. Please excuse any typo’s and grammer errors as I did not have time to proof it. It was a type as you can, when you can post that took all morning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Deb,

Sounds like things are going well with Max. You need to post some new pictures!

My oldest was a non-stop nurser, too, as a newborn. He wouldn't even unlatch when he napped, so I totally sumpathize with your complaints about not being able to get in any good naptime for yourself. BTW, there's even an acronym (isn't there always!) for typing with a baby attached to your breast - nak (nursing at the keyboard).

Bleh on your sister's comment. My sisters did feel the need to name my breasts ("because we see so much of them"), but otherwise didn't find it necessary to make stupid remarks.

I think the book might be Alfie Kohn's "Punished by Rewards - the Trouble with Gold Stars, Incentive Plans, A's, Praise, and Other Bribes."

Amy (from the SMC board)