Sunday, January 02, 2005

6w3d today and happy (belated) new year!!

I can’t believe how long it has been since I sat down at the computer and spent any time here. I have written many blog posts in my mind, but haven’t had the energy to get up and actually type them. NOT COMPLAINING. In fact, if I would have gotten around to posting yesterday, I would have complained that I wasn’t as tired and my “symptoms” were diminishing, which worried me of course. I have been relatively calm since my u/s last week when I saw the sac and yolk sac. No spotting since last Wednesday (5 days) and that was fairly light. Yahoo!! I have still had a little bit of cramping on and off, but nothing alarming. Mostly, I have just been tired and sleeping a lot. I have been averaging about 10 – 12 hours of sleep a day which is almost double my normal sleep allotment. When not sleeping, I have “rested” catching up on some reading and movie watching. I have really been taking it easy and enjoying the last of my vacation. I can’t believe that it is time to go back to work already tomorrow. It seemed like it would be so long at the beginning. Now, I feel like I could use more time off. Oh well, I am sure I will get into the swing of things again soon.

Other than sleeping and being very tired, my other main “symptom” has been food and smell aversions. Not really nausea or morning sickness, just a certainty that something is unappealing. For example, my sister called and said she was making clam chowder and did I want some. Just the thought of it was a turn off. Another example, I use Clinque face care products. The last few mornings, I almost gagged at the smell of the soap. I have been using it for years and never even realized that the soap had a smell. Who knew? Unfortunately, the smell of dog do do is a big turn off and enough to make me gag, which may really become quite a problem since I have two dogs and have to deal with picking it up several times a day.

Happy New Year!! I celebrated by falling asleep at 9:30. I had no energy and no desire to go out and do anything. I did wake up at midnight, but only because my neighbors were setting off fire crackers and the noise freaks out my dogs, who had to wake me to complain about it. I had forgotten that New Years is their second least favorite night of the year. The least favorite being the Fourth of July.

I was up and out early the next day hiking with the dogs. I ended up doing the same trail that my friend Heather’s husband choose with their dogs. Daphne (one of their dogs) is especially fond of me and charged ahead to meet up with us. So, I waited to see who had dog duty today. It was Sanger and we hiked together. When I asked him about their New Year, he said they also crashed at 9:30. Yeah, I knew I liked them for a reason, we keep the same early to bed, early to rise schedule. He and his dogs are faster than me and my dogs are. As a result, I had a faster pace than normal and that I really wanted to do. Plus, it was really muddy. At one point, if I were alone, I probably would have turned around, but…I didn’t want to be a wimp in front of him. How silly is that? At the point I would have turned around, it is a narrow path that sloops to the right with a drop on the right into a small raven. Normally, this is not a problem, but it was so muddy that it was slippery. Sanger was ahead of me and slid, but was able to jump to the other side and avoid the raven. I tried to go left, off path, to avoid the potential hazard, but as I stepped around I was in mud up to my knee and fell (hitting my knee). It was quite comical, but not the kind of jolt I wanted with my precious little one that I hope is still growing in side. I had to crawl out of it and had mud caked several inches on my legs and boots not to mention my muddy, muddy hands. Ugh. I can’t wait until this rain is behind us, but we have another week where rain is predicted for every day. Yuck! At this point, it is wasted because the ground is so saturated, it is just run off. If it doesn’t stop soon, we could have some serious mud slides and other related problems. On top of all that, the rain brings out the ticks, which are just disgusting.

My big accomplishment of the weekend was to get my Christmas decorations down and put away. It was a several day effort with lots of rests in between. I did have a constraint because of the rain. The box I store my tree in is cardboard and it is too big and heavy for me to carry. I usually push/drag it from my house to the garage. I didn’t want to even attempt this in the rain. I did get it done, but it would probably have been better if I had some help. I felt a little pulling and cramping afterwards. Great, a jolt/fall while hiking, then this. I just kept repeating my dr.’s words….nothing you do or don’t do will cause this pregnancy to work or not work at this point. However, this was the same day that I was less tired and didn’t really have any food/smell aversions. Needless to say, I was a tad worried for the first time since my last u/s.

I had a dream the other night that I was at my next u/s and we saw the heartbeat. It was really a strange dream. My doctor was there, but he wasn’t doing the u/s. There were two other people neither of whom I had seen before and one of them was doing it. They had a conference outside the door before they came in, but I could hear everything they said. The two other people asked a few questions and they walked through a few scenarios and how to handle them depending on what we saw or didn’t see. My doctor answered them and made sure to point out that any responses or information should always be given to me in the most positive of manners/wording so that I didn’t freak-out or get over worried. Like I said, it was very strange, but I had to laugh because my doctor does always give me positive information first. For example, at my last ultrasound, he said the pregnancy had a 75% chance of success after seeing the sac with the spotting and cramping instead of saying I had a 25% chance of miscarriage. He gives me all the information I need, but in such a way to try to calm me instead of worry me. Funny, that came out in a dream.

The other “symptom”, I have had, if you can call it that, is that I am completely not hungry and have no desire to eat after about 5 pm. I am starving around 3 – 4 pm and then that is it for the night. Maybe some milk or juice, but no food. Typically (before pregnancy), when I got up in the morning around 6 am to take the dogs out, I was not hungry and didn’t like to eat before hiking because it made me sick. I would come home, shower and have breakfast around 8:30/9 am. This does not work after pregnancy especially since I am not eating anything in the evenings. I have had to start eating some bread or a roll in the morning on my way to hike because I am so hungry and need something in my stomach. Then eat again when I get back.

I know it is early, but I haven’t gained or lost any weight. I have been fluctuating between a 2 lbs difference over the last week. I am happy with this. Since I am already very over weight, I need to gain as little weight as healthy for the baby for this pregnancy.

I am starting to think that really this could work and that by next Christmas/New Year I could have a 3 month old. I sure hope so.

No comments: