Monday, April 25, 2005

2nd L&D Visit Last Night

All is well, but I did have my second visit to Labor and Delivery yesterday. When I was at my OB appointment on Friday, Dr. P asked me if I had any more “cramping” incidents. I indicated that I had, but they had gone away with Tylenol and a warm heating pad. She told me that if it happened again, I needed to call in. When I groaned and asked ANYTIME or just if it didn't go away with Tyleol, she agreed that I would only call in if Tylenol and/or a warm heating pad didn’t help.

Yesterday, when I woke up from a nice 2 hour nap, I realized that I was cramping again. I decided to stay in bed and read/rest for awhile. It didn’t go away. I finally got up and took some Tylenol about 2 pm and that didn’t make it disappear. I took some more around 5 pm and that didn’t make them disappear. So, around 6:30 pm I called the Dr. on call and explained. He had me come it for monitoring.

Just like last time, no contractions showed up and my cervix was long and closed (as it is supposed to be). They don’t really know what is causing it. It could be bladder related and they took a urine sample. I don’t think this is it. I have HAD many bladder infections and it doesn’t feel like this. It could be scar tissue from my myomectomy stretching. I don’t think it is this either. Personally, I think it is muscle related. Although, I don’t really know what is causing it.

I really didn’t think it was a problem so it was a lot less stressful the second time through the process. Plus, I finally used the fetal heart monitor before I called the Dr. and easily found a nice strong heartbeat so I knew the kid was still alive. And, a friend was able to go with me to keep me from feeling too guilty for being there even though my Dr. has specifically told me to call in this situation.

The worst part of the whole thing was when the Dr. did the cervix check. I don’t know if he just had short fat fingers or what, but it was a tad uncomfortable and he really rammed his fingers up there. I am still a bit sore today. It would be one thing if it was from a nice satisfying sexual encounter or something. Oh well! Good thing I am not really a modest or shy person and have no problem with complete strangers feeling around inside me or looking at my naked self.

The cramping when away sometime between 4 and 6 am this morning. Yes, it is better to be safe than sorry, but I hate bothering folks when it really isn’t a problem and nothing is wrong, even if it IS there job. I really need to find out why the constant cramping is more worrisome. Hmm. Maybe one day soon when I am less tired.

As a side note, my little one was having a little dance party in my tummy as I was typing this. It is very nice to have such direct feedback that she is alive so frequently.

No comments: