Monday, December 01, 2008

Things I have learned

1) Even the hospital didn't think it was necessary to have R on oxygen taped up to his face. They had a "blow by" of cool most air out of a tube somewhat directed at his face. I'd be willing to do that while he sleeps if I had the right equipment. I feel slightly vindicated. Although the admitting doc gave the best explanation yet of why the pulmonaligist wanted to err on the side of caution.

2) You don't necessarily have to use the face mask on the nebulizer. Yes, it may be more effective, but just blowing it at the nose can be considered good enough if the mask freaks out the patient.

3) You can and probably should use the bulb syringe to suction the mouth/back of the throat when clearing the nose. Boy did I get a lot of phlegm when I did this. A lot. Less for them to need to cough up and to possibly get into the airways/lungs. Yes, they don't like it, but it does fall into the good for you/very effective category.

4) What "pulling" means in regards to breathing and why it is bad. I'm still not all that good at hearing wheezing. Yes, I can hear it in R, but pretty anyone even vaguely around him will hear that it is so bad right now. They say N is wheezing a bit as well, but I can't really hear it in her.

5) Even though the directions may say to only give a breathing treatment every 4 hours as needed, really, you can do it as often as needed much more frequently if needed to try to get breathing airways open and less pulling and wheezing.

2 comments:

Miss X said...

I feel so bad for you. I'll be praying for R and that the other 2 don't get sick as well.

So I'm not a mommy but I frequent the baby stuff blogs. Have you heard of the new baby nose vacuums? Might be a good idea with twins.

http://www.thingamababy.com/baby/2008/11/baby-nose-vacuum.html

Laura in L.A. said...

Deb, how is our boy doing? I am hoping no news is good news, and you're catching up on sleep!

Praying for you all.

Love, Laura