Sunday, January 22, 2006

Stopping to smell the roses


A rose by any other name, would it smell so sweet?

I was talking to the friend who visited the other week about stopping to smell the roses because she brought one in from the garden one day while she was here and it was such a nice visual treat every time I saw it, that I replaced it yesterday with another beautiful one from my garden. Okay, unlike her, I couldn't just stop at one; I had to bring in three. I do just love roses.


Another rose from the garden, one of the three I brought in.

Anyway, speaking about stopping to smell the roses made me think.

Sometimes I actually feel sorry for Max. When we are out walking and I see roses, I DO stop and smell them. If they are fragrant (not all are), I then shove Max’s nose in it and tell him to smell.

Then, on the not so fragrant side, when I stop and pick up the dog poop on our walks, guess who is closest to the goods and gets the best smell?

It is no wonder that Max doesn’t really mind the wind in his face because when I blow dry my hair, I aim the dryer on and off at him. In writing it out, it seems a bit like torture, but he LIKES it and laughs.

Max really isn’t bothered by/likes being out in the rain as well. When he was just born and had jaundice and I was told to put Max in the sun, it was summer and hot here. To keep him from over heating, I would take the spray bottle and spray him down. LOL. He would squirm a bit in surprise, but never cry over it. Family and friends who saw me do this were horrified, but when I asked they had to agree that he didn’t seem bothered by it at all. And, when I have Max in the bathroom with me, after washing my hands, I usually flick the water from my hands in his face. Again, sounds a bit mean, but he thinks it is funny and laughs every time. How can I not do it when he likes it so much?

I guess the question is, is Max just extra ordinarily good natured or have I conditioned him from the womb? Probably both. I only feel a little sorry for him, and then I realize that he is just extra ordinarily fortunate. Not to many other mom's would give him experiences like I have. Or, could be I am just deluding myself. Either way, it really is never dull around here and I don’t need to go to any stinkin’ classes to stimulate my child. LOL.

No comments: