Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Not all work

Life hasn't been ALL about work lately, but there hasn't been much time for the kids or play either. I knew January was going to be busy, but the reality of it is hard on me and the kids and Noemi as I think I've had late meetings that have run over almost every single day the last week or two. It is being exasperated by the fact that I (and my current boss) think he is going to be removed from his position with the question being whether he is put on a layoff list or moved to another assignment. We have a replanning activity underway and my boss's boss's boss has made it perfectly clear that I, instead of my boss, is on point to run and lead this. Now, my boss's boss's boss is the person I used to support directly in my prior job and he and my boss's boss moved me into this position this summer so we do have a direct working relationship. It's just a lot right now trying to balance it all. And, I have to fit in dinner and getting ready for bed in with my "quality" time with the kids. Then, go back to work and get the rest of my must have done things before I get to go to bed.

Both Max and I had off on Monday and instead of staying in, cuddling up, and spending it as a family, we ditched the twins and took the metro to Exhibition Park downtown. As I was standing waiting for a bus getting drenched in pouring down rain reminding myself that I have not one, but two working cars sitting at home, I reminded myself I wasn't doing this for me as Max danced around trying to catch rain drops on his tongue.

I also managed to buy a new used waffle iron off ebay and give it a trial run this weekend. LOVE it and it is bigger so made it all go so much faster. I think Max ate 3 or 4 and the twins had seconds or thirds as well. I did some cooking this weekend...enchiladas made from left over slow cooked pork roast and slow cooked beef. Max requested meatballs yesterday (Coscto frozen put into crock pot with catchup and jelly on low all day...sounds a bit gross, but I haven't met anyone yet including my kids that don't love them...good for parties as well) and made slow cooked chili today. Truly, I don't remember Monday.

Last week, we had minor flu bugs where Max had a bad tummy ache one Morning. R vomited all over his crib. N vomited all over me. Pretty much par for the course. Max has never been one to have too many tummy troubles. In the last few months, R and N have puked more times each than Max has in his entire life. I think each and everyone of those times N has puked on me.

This week seems to be cold, cough, congestion week. R's been a bit wheezy and coughy, but not bad. We are doing breathing treatments, but haven't needed to be too aggressive. Max seems to have it the worst, but no fever. He's ended up in my bed (early) the last few nights which I really hate but have allowed because I know he isn't feeling well and because work has consumed some of our normal time so I figure he needs it. Last night wasn't as bad because he wasn't leaning into me and be right up against me all night. Also, with this sickness, we've had some bed wetting almost every night. If I get him up when I finish work, he is usually good, but the last few nights including tonight he's peed before that has happened or anyway. At least now I know that it is related somehow as the rest of the time (when he isn't sick) he and his bed stay dry.

Many days, I just wish it weren't so busy and I had a few minutes to breath or for basic hygiene like showering. Speaking of showering, I should have taken the chance tonight as I'm sadly overdue, but think I will have time in the morning after my 6:30 am meeting before I have to take Max to school. I'm just trying to remind myself to enjoy the time I can with the kids as much as I can.

We've been having rain and more rain and more rain this week. I've taken/let the kids go out and play in it or the puddles after dinner since they've had to spend so much more time indoors than normal and Noemi/the school don't. They've loved it and I remind myself once again that it isn't for me when I'm then rushed to get the kids dry, bathed, in PJ's and warm when there are three of them and one of me.

Overall, the Neomi leaving at 3 and taking the twins with me to pick up Max is going fine. There are days, especially bath days when I'm solo that things get a bit too crazy. Crazy as in, for example, R pee's on the floor before I can get a diaper on him. N pee's on the floor before I can get a diaper on her. R diaper gets off and he poo's on the table he has climbed on. While I'm trying to get him cleaned up first as it is all over his freshly bathed body, Max is laughing and trying to get N to go "play" in it and no amount of telling him that it isn't funny convinces him. So I've learned the hard way to not totally do one child, but to do one round of dry everyone off. Another round of getting diapers only on twins. A third round of getting PJ's on. It all wouldn't be so bad if once they were in bed, I was done. But, I just go back to the work I'm paid to do.

Somewhere in all of this my cousin came for the weekend because she left a bag here she needed and she/they (her husband and daughter) helped get Christmas put away, we had a party for her daughter who is a newly minted teen, and they watched the kids so I could have a rare and lovely night out with the girls.

This weekend, I think it is just us. No big plans. No birthday parties. I think we all need it. Some chill not frills time. I'm looking forward to it. I think the kids are as well. Only a few more days. Then, it starts all over again. I guess we are in a live for the weekends phase right now.


Jessica said...

Nice blog… you can find more Kids Bed, which can be used to decorate kids room.

Laraf123 said...

I know what you mean. After I get home there are, at the most, 2 1/2hours to spend with my children. But that time is "eaten up" by taking care of pets, preparing dinner, unpacking the boys' daycare bag/reading notes, baths and bedtime hygeine. I really wish we could squeeze in more fun. It's hard when there's two boys under age three and only 1 of me--can't imagine if L was twins! Hang in there--you are doing a great job!