Thursday, October 12, 2006

Home Sweet Home

Surgery went well. I stayed last night in the hospital for observation because of a reaction to the anesthesia (nausea and vomiting) and low blood pressure. Notice how I didn’t say that I SLEPT last night at the hospital because the truth is, I only got brief cat naps in between 1 and 4 after being given an Ambien. I got home around 12:30 pm today and had lunch and waited until Max woke up from his nap to give him a quick cuddle. Then, Noemi fed him lunch and took him off to the park so I could have a much needed nap. The only good thing about the over night stay was that it kept me from disobeying dr.’s orders and over doing it. The biggest restriction is no lifting anything over 5 lbs for 4 – 5 days with Max now weighing in at 23 lbs. Good thing my cousin is here to help. And, my sister was great and drove over last night to relieve Noemi and did early morning duty with Max until she was relieved by Noemi. It was a huge help and a big stress reduction.

I’ve had little to moderate pain, nothing unmanageable at all. The only hard part was the vomiting from the anesthesia. I was feeling pretty bad there for awhile. The female parts looked great. There was a small cyst on my left ovary, which is cyclical and not a problem, but he drained anyway since he was there. Tubes are open. Uterus looks good. No problem taking out either the gallbladder or the appendix. However, the multi-purpose surgery was a blessing in disguise as they found two long stringy lesions holding down my intestines. I didn’t talk to the doctors (or at least I don’t remember talking to them) but my cousin said they said that it “was concerning” and I would likely have ended up in ER soon with a bowel obstruction since the intestines could have wrapped their way around them, causing me to loose part of them. My cousin got the impression that the only reason they saw the lesions was because they turned the camera to look at the female parts. Oh, and, the surgery took a bit longer because my bile duct was swollen. Even though the last scan of the area didn’t show any stones in it, they took 20 minutes or so to wait for an x-ray to be certain. Likely this was caused by the progesterone, which is why Dr. N wanted me to have the surgery in the first place.

I got this Ah ha moment, after the surgery, where things became crystal clear of why things may not have worked out the way you wanted, but the way they were meant to be. Probably being pregnant with the intestines issue would have been a very bad thing, not to mention the whole gallstone thing on top of it.

Anyway, all is well. I think I am going to go climb in bed and read a bit and hope for more sleep tonight than last, which shouldn’t be hard since my brief nap of this afternoon already beat last nights total. I do which I could relax in a nice warm bath, but that is off limits for 3 weeks. I’m glad to be home and glad to have this behind me.

1 comment:

Calico Sky said...

Deb
So glad you are well, was thinking about you a lot!
Are your cousin and sister rentable for when I come home with my kids???