Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Bitter Sweet

Max is getting so big and growing up so fast. I haven’t put him on the scale recently, but I swear he has gained at least 5 pounds almost overnight. He is solid and getting heavy. Niomi and I both noticed it at the same time so it’s not just me.

One of the many gifts Niomi got Max for his birthday was a “potty”. I, of course, thought she was out of her mind; that Max was way too young; and figured it would just sit around collecting dust. But, I kept my thoughts to myself and under the rationale that it couldn’t harm, put it in the bathroom, and decided to go with the flow. I think Niomi could tell I was a bit reluctant, in spite of my best efforts to pretend otherwise, and asked I wanted to put it away while assuring me that it was better for them to get used to it now because if you waited until the child was 2 or 3 they were afraid of it and it was harder. I assured her, no, let’s leave it there and see how it goes. Well, I have to say, that Niomi was right on this. Max has been pee’ing in it pretty regularly before and after bath. He “gets” it and is so proud. Now, he is also pee’ing in the tub and on his carpet and anyplace else he can while his diaper is off. These are not accidents. He knows what he is doing. He is like a dog marking his territory. He is so pleased with himself. I’m giving him lots of praise for going in the toilet and either ignore or give a silent groan (can’t help it) when he goes else where. I think this approach is helping a little. This morning, I could tell he was about to have a poo so I took the seat to the “little” potty and put it on the “big” potty. Within 1 minute, he had poo’d and was so thrilled and pleased with himself. Of course, I took him off to soon and he pee’d on the bathroom floor just after that. (smile) Tonight, before bath I asked him if he wanted to pee on the big potty or the little one. Right away, he pointed to the big one. Put him on it with the converter seat and within seconds, he had pee’d. Now, he is not potty “trained” by any means, but I think it will happen sooner rather than latter since he really does seem to understand. I have not pushed or prompted him in any way. He showed interest in it and I just helped get him undressed when he seem to indicated that was what he wanted. Only once has he not gone within a minute of sitting on the toilet and wanted to get off (which of course I let him do). Left to my own devises, I would not have even thought of exposing him to this until after he was two.

And, today, we finally switched him off the bottle. Last weekend, I finally found a transition cup that would work based on his skill level without making a huge mess. I probably have at least 10 different types of various sippy or child type cups I have bought and tried over the last 6 months or so, but they have all been more trouble than they were worth for us. The Nuby is the one that has finally worked. He has been taking water out of it since the day I got it. Today, Niomi gave his milk in it before his nap and I did the same tonight before bed AND no fuss, no muss, no problem. It was the non issue I hoped it would be. And, yes, it is very similar to a bottle, but ….hey, it is “technically” a cup so I’m counting it. Too bad I only got two.


Here is a picture of Max tonight before bed. We were practicing sticking out our tongues while reading Do’s and Don’t by Todd Parr.




I’m so happy that Max is growing and developing and advancing at almost an alarming rate. We have so much fun together. Yes, he can whine and throw a fit or scream in this loud piercing voice that can grate on your last nerve and give you a headache when he can’t have his way immediately at times. He is a kid and an explorer and adventurer who may not be talking, but can usually communicate loud and clear his wishes, desires, and preferences. LOL. I love where he is at and watching him move from a baby into a little boy. It really is quite amazing. And, it is bitter sweet and I miss the cuddly little baby he was. It makes me so long for another.

Now that I am in “wait” mode, I’m just cruising along and work has been crazy busy. This is why I haven’t been around. I’ve been taking a break to spend the evening with Max and working for several more hours after he is down. Then, I’m too keyed up to sleep and have been going to bed late and dragging and cringing in the morning when it is time to get up. Next week, I’m out all week and my cousin will be here to visit, but I have the pre-op on Tuesday and the surgery on Wednesday so I don’t think I will be able to get done as much as I would like.

Max is just growing up so gosh darn fast.

No comments: