Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Blessed

I was thinking last night about how blessed I was. Yes, I was thinking this through the excruciating pain I was in. A friend emailed today recommending cabbage leaves tucked in your bra. Good information. To bad I didn’t have it yesterday. LOL. My RE recommended ice packs so I put those on for an hour before I went to bed and that helped some. Feeling much better today, just sore instead of pain. Last night wasn’t too bad from a Max battle perspective, especially considering that I was still so full and leaking all over everything and he had to smell it while I fed him the bottle of formula. Max woke up about 1 and drank 2 oz from a bottle, crying a pathetic little cry to let me know he wasn’t happy with the situation, but it wasn’t an all out battle. Then, he woke up around 4:30 am and drank another 3 oz. from a bottle again crying while drinking it down. Both times, he went immediately back to sleep.

I guess he was saving himself for this afternoon. Naomi had a doctor appointment this afternoon so I was in charge. Max should have been and was ready to go down for a nap around 2 pm. He did not actually fall asleep until 3:20 pm. He was seriously pissed off that I would not pacify him with the boob. He tried to attach through my bra and shirt. When I moved him, he tried to suckle my arm, my neck, whatever. What he DID NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE WANT was the bottle or the pacifier. I guess it was a good thing that yesterday was so painful and so fresh in my mind because it kept me from caving and giving in. Finally, in frustration (on both are parts), I just left him in his crib to scream bloody murder at the injustice and his displeasure. He fell asleep 10 min. later (or he suffocated himself…I haven’t gone to check cause I don’t want to wake him up).

Anyway, last night, while in considerable pain, I was thinking about how blessed I was for many, many reasons. One of which was the fact that I had a child with whom BF was so successful that it was harder to stop than to start or continue.

Another was what a great local support system I have with SMC’s or people that I met through the SMC group.

Got to go. Mr. Max decided that a 40 min. nap was enough after his 80 min. fit pre-nap. I’m going to go hug my baby and take him for a nice walk now that the weather has cleared up some.

1 comment:

Katrina said...

Silly me, I also knew about the cabbage leaf thing because a nurse suggested that to me at the hospital for my feet saying it was advice they usually gave moms for engorgement. I was just too out of it last night to think of it when you told me how much pain you were in.

I am glad that you had such a great breastfeeding experience with Max, but I am definitely also happy that for now Eliana takes both so easily...it will make life pretty easy when I go back to work. :)

Give that cute little guy a big kiss from me. Thanks for being there for me last night and today, life is so much better now!