Friday, April 28, 2006

B #5 – Bed - Edited

Edited to add pictures and footnotes.

I’m just killing time until I need to leave for my IUI apt.*** I am so excited, I want to leave now. Can’t concentrate on work. Yesterday, I was SURE I was ovulating early, but the nice thing about having gone through this before is that I realize I have felt this way and it has never happened. If I called my RE, he would have let me come in for a check and done and IUI, but why waste the sperm. I’m not getting my hopes up too high, but …

Anyway, I have been thinking about the5 B’s. Bath, Brush, Books, Bottle, and Bed. We have gotten in such a good routine of late. And, I realized that I haven’t talked about my little guy much lately. The truth is, as anyone who has read my blog must know, is that writing this is my therapy. I tend to be “around” more and writing when there is something bothering me that I need to work out or figure out or vent. And, things with Max are just going so well. He is great.

On bed, we have a good schedule/routine going these days. Most days, he is ready for bed around 7:30 pm and sleeps until about 4 – 6 am. If he is up around 4 and not because he is having/needs to have a BM, then he will usually drink 4 – 6 oz and doze back off with me in bed. However, sometimes, he sleeps straight through, like last night, until after 6. These times are so rare, that it is all I can do not to go in and check on him, because he often is such a light sleeper that just opening the door wakes him up.


My sleeping beauty!*


My little guy waking up.**

He has been taking two solid naps most days. We put him down based on when he got up. For example, Thursday morning he was up at 5 am working on a poo poo. He was put down for his morning nap at 9 am (which is really the earliest he could be put down between walking and eating breakfast). Today, he slept until 6:15 and we put him down at 9:45. No fuss, no muss, no crying.

On average, he naps 3 hours during the day. Sometimes 30 + min. less/sometimes 30+ min. more. If he takes a REALLY long morning nap, which doesn’t happen very often, but has happened, he will likely not go down for an afternoon nap and we adjust the evening bedtime to around 6 pm. Mostly, he has been sleeping about 90 – 120 min. in the morning and about 60 – 90 min. in the afternoon.

When I put him in his crib and tell him “night night, momma loves you” he gives me a smile and pulls up his blanky. I call out which ever animal has dared to come in, and close the door.

No fuss, no muss. Sometimes, he goes directly off to sleep. Sometimes, I hear him moving around and babbling in the crib. Occasionally, he will cry a bit, but usually this only happens when he is over tired and doesn’t last more than a few minutes.

Sometimes, like last night, he will wake up in the night crying. Last night, it was because he had gas and was trying to move around and ran out of real estate. He was up on all 4’s banging his head against the side of the crib still half asleep. I’ll go pick him up and help him get the gas out. Often, I will see if he wants a drink (of formula). Last night was really the first time he didn’t. He drank 1 oz. and fell back asleep in my arms. I put him back in the crib and he fussed for about 3 minutes before going back to sleep.

If he does wake up, there is usually a reason and that reason is usually gastrointestinal - gassy or needing to do a bowel movement. He is only pee’ing through very rarely these days. I found a size 3 diaper that works 98% of the time for him at night. On the rare occasions that he is wet when I get him, this does not seem to be the reason for the awaking.

For as bad of a sleeper he was in the beginning, he is settling down into a nice little sleeper. He does sleep light so I can’t leave the door open because the phone will wake him. Or, if he knows someone is visiting, he will have a hard time settling and sleeping.

I have a friend that told me that you should not cater to your child’s routine, you should have them work around yours. I have pondered this and decided that I don’t agree. There are times when the routine gets messed up for some reason, but these usually cause Max to get over tired. Luckily, at least so far, his behavior doesn’t suffer, especially if others are around. If it is just the two of us, he may get a bit whiny. BUT, the next night, I pay, because he doesn’t sleep through and wakes up 3 ,4 ,5 times and usually ends up in bed with me causing me less sleep. I have decided that having a child fit into your routine is a nice theory, but for Max and I, it is best not to mess with it if we can avoid it.

Okay, time to go. Next update: B #4 Books.

* This is Max asleep last night. He started out in the middle of the bed on his back facing the other direction. And his “bunny” was in the right upper corner of the crib. It is so cute that he got it and moved it with him complete to the other side.

** This is Max waking up this morning. He was laying sideways in the crib with his legs up the side (in kind of a sit position). I went to grab the camera really quick, but he was quicker and had rolled over and was pushing him self up when I got back.

*** The deed is done and the swimmers are thawed and inseminated. I think this time right now, for the next 24 hours is my favorite part of the whole process. It is the time for hope and possibilities. If it is going to happen, it starts now. It will happen over the next day. I hate that you have to take 2 weeks to find out. I was a bit disappointed that my other follicles shrank. I wasn’t too surprised given my history, but twins are definitely out for this go round. There was just the one follicle that had grown to 21. I have been quite crampy with a lot of pressure in the ovary area so I was hoping for more. I mentioned something to my RE about this being my first unmedicated RE and how it would be nice if it worked, but not likely. He countered saying that stranger things have happen, especially with me and my history. I have to agree with that. So, nothing else to do, but wait and see. And so another 2 ww begins.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Best wishes and Good Luck in your new journey. I am about to become a SMC and discovered your website a couple of weeks ago!
Max is adorable :-)
Hope today is successful
Kathryn

Jen said...

YAY :) I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I started BCP's today in order to kinda "jumpstart" stuff so that I can do my first at home insem in August or September.

Quick question, and please tell me if I'm asking for too much info...when you do a doctor assisted IUI do they only do 1 vial? Could I do a second at home? I'm seriously considering doing the doctor assisted IUI instead as I talked about it with my GYN when I saw her a couple weeks ago. (i'm using UCLA btw).

Anonymous said...

I haven't started yet - am still going through which is my best option...
I was pleased to see another SMC who wants more than one child - I would love 3 or 4!!!
From what I remember being told they use one vile per cycle - but I am sure a friend of mine who was on clomid used one vile 2 x in one cycle (I think day 14 and 16).
I have heard good things about UCLA!
Kathryn

Deb2You2 said...

Kathyrn and Jen - Thanks for stopping in and leaving a comment.

Jen - Some Dr.'s do two IUI's one at 24 and one at 48 hrs after a positive OPK. Others do 1 at 36 hrs after. Because the sperm is frozen, it doesn't last as long and you are tyring to get the "timing" as close to ovulation as possible. Mostly my RE, does 1 at 36 hours after, but for various reasons (ovulating 4 days after OPK or "sure" I was going to ovulate early which didn't happen). After my first cycle, I always had did a trigger shot because it was too stressful for me to not. I don't see any reason why you could not do another home insem. if you wanted provided you had the right type of vial. Of course, I am totally into monitoring and "control" so it makes me nervious even thinking about a home insem. LOL. Heck, even my "unmedicated" cycle I used progesterone to induce a period, had u/s monitoring for follicle development, did a trigger shot, RE induced IUI, and am now on progesterone. LOL. Do you still have my "personal" email and phone numbers? Feel free to call.

Kathryn - Good luck to you as you start your journey. Glad you found me. Have you found the national SMC group yet? Very inexpensive to join and a great resource. Deb