Monday, April 30, 2007

Swimmers On Board

Max and I were up and out of the house very early to walk the dog then to the clinic for my IUI this morning. The sperm motility and such weren’t the best, but they were fine. The timing wasn’t perfect in that I had already ovulated* enough that the follicle was no longer seen, but I think still within an acceptable range that if it was a good egg there is still a chance. I guess since the egg was already there that if fertilization occurred, it would have already occurred by now. And, I’m now in yet another 2 week wait.

I was playing with Max in the spare room yesterday (rather Max was standing on his first climber slide, which has been stored in that room since it rained a few months ago, to reach the TV that is on a tall dresser playing with the buttons – on, off, changing channels, etc. while trying not to be too bored) and I came across a magic 8 ball someone at some point had left. I asked it two questions 1) Am I going to get pregnant this month? The magic 8 ball responded “YES”. 2) Am I going to get a live child as a result of the pregnancy? The m8b responded “Don’t Count On It”. And, there you have it.

I started dex this morning (probably would have started it over the weekend if I had thought about in then) and a drug called Rosiglitazone (which sadly insurance didn’t cover and I have pretty good insurance coverage). The dex is as a precaution since I have gotten pregnant 3 times and miscarried the two times I was not taking dex. Likely due to egg quality issues, but why take the chance. The Rosiglitazone is a drug used for Type 2 Diabetes. I do not have Type 2 Diabetes, but my insulin was a bit high (which you would already know if my lab posted didn’t get lost the other day). High insulin can affect egg quality. The drug is a category 3 drug so I’ll stop it immediately if I do get a positive beta in a few weeks. If not, maybe it will help the egg quality in a future cycle.

Not that I’m going to cancel my mammogram and sonocine breast u/s later this week, but I have decided that I should probably be more worried about heart disease and Type 2 Diabetes than breast cancer. The fine print on the Rosiglitazone (marketed as Avandia) indicates it can worsen heart disease if indicated. The combination of the high insulin, the ligature about the adverse affects, and some minor (very, very minor chest discomfort that I think was probably muscular related to better posture from some new bra’s I purchased and going to the chiropractor last week) has given me the kick I needed to really watch my carb intake and set up a physical to get a baseline. I have been thinking what is the point of having another child if my life is cut short for things within my control. And, Max (and any possible future children whether conceived with my own eggs or not) deserve to have as healthy a parent a possible. I really, really enjoy my carb’s. I’m only two days in and mourning the loss. I really need to get to the grocery store as I am out of almost everything (been weeks and weeks since I have done a big shop). I just keep repeating to myself that it will all be worth it in the end. I’m going to asked to have my Insulin level ** retest when I have my beta to see if there is any downward trend to help keep my motivated.

When I first started this ttc process many, many years ago. I used to get so excited right after an IUI thinking of the possibility. Today, it was just one more thing that needed to get done. I’m not unexcited, but I can’t say I’m hyped up either. Probably, lack of sleep; Max and I having our 4th or 5th cold in about 6 weeks; and less food/carbs isn’t helping.

Funny thing I have realized about 2 ww’s recently though is that they are, for me, much easier now than in the beginning. I have a lot more to occupy me (read a very active toddler) and a more realistic attitude about the odds for each given cycle.

So, the swimmers have already done their job by now or now. And, now we wait.



* I was always so darn paranoid about ovulating early that Dr. N let me come in several times and we did an IUI a day early just in case and I never, not once, ovulated prior to the 36 hour mark. Last month, I was ovulating at the 36 hour mark and could see it on the u/s and this month I had already ovulated. Dr. Q said I had “just” ovulated, but it had to have been longer than that since the follicle had already collapsed. He forgets I know these things.

** My insulin was 21 and in range should be <17 so it was high, but not crazy high. My fasting glucose was middle of the road at 76 and in range is between 65 – 99.

1 comment:

Katrina said...

Wishing you the best with this non cycle! :) Your fasting glucose was great...much better than mine has ever been! LOL. I don't know what my insulin levels are like though since that is not something they check for me too often, just the glucose level.

Is there a reason you are going the Avandia route rather than Metformin (which can, controversially, be used during pregnancy)?