Monday, September 24, 2007

Ick!

I haven't been liking my job much lately for a lot of reasons that one can't really get into in such a public forum, but I have a renewed appreciation for it today. I have come across a job that I could never do no matter how much money I was paid. Dead Animal collector. Yet, I'm incredibly glad that not everyone feels that way.

I was out of town for the weekend. We got home tired. I noticed a smell in the house and looked around, but couldn't identify the smell. I took out all the trash, started the laundry, kept looking around. Today, it was getting worse and identified the source as the guest bathroom, which I had looked in. I went outside and found a possum had dislodge the little access area and died inside.

I called Dead Animal pickup and talked to a really witchy lady who said the city couldn't remove it since it was under the house, technically, even though I explained that they could just reach in a get it, and asked her to send someone anyway. Hoping that whoever came would take pity on me. In the mean time, I called the company that I have monthly service with and my normal guy was going to come out. He was supposed to be here at noon and the city came at 12:10 pm. I explained and told him I was told that he couldn't get it, but the other guy was late. And, he just pulled it out by his tail and bagged him and hauled him off for me. It was so gross and maggoty I can't even tell you. I thanked him profusely. My pest control guy got here about 5 minutes later, relieved he didn't have to deal with it, told me that had saved me a lot of money, sprayed in there really good, and then did my monthly service since he was here. Then, Max's nanny sprayed it with bleach really good. I didn't asked and planned on doing it myself after my work meetings. But, I think she was motivated to try to reduce the putrid smell in here. Probably, all of above said activities have had a desired affect and it isn't quite so disgusting around here.

Thank God that there are people willing to do this for a profession (and that the city guy did it and I didn't have to pay extra for it), cause I just know. I couldn't have done it myself. I started gaging and almost lost it just watching the guy from about 20 feet away.

No comments: