Sunday, August 12, 2007

A Big Weekend

We had Max's 2nd Birthday Party this weekend. It was a small pool party with mostly family and a few friends and neighbors. And, Max moved to a toddler bed since the crib was rendered completely ineffective once he figured out how to climb out. I woke up this morning to Max climbing in next to me. The cuddling lasted about 1 minute. My cousin and her family drove in from Arizona to be here. It was really great. Max hasn't been napping all week with all the activity and the climbing out of the crib thing so after they left today, I spent somewhere between 40 - 60 minutes picking Max up and returning him to his crib too many times to count or remember before he finally napped...without eye contact or talking to him or engaging in any way except to pick him up or lead him by the hand back to his bed. It paid off because I only had to return him 3 times tonight before bed before he stayed put. I can hear him still awake in his crib still...for 30 min. now...but he hasn't come out again. He actually slept in the bed for the first time last night after the party and went down fairly well last night because he was completely tired from the family in town and the party and the swimming and all the excitement. A very big weekend for my big boy. We are tired, but had fun.

Here are some pictures:

Max, upon waking up and finding out that his cousin "CC" arrived while he was sleeping. I think CC is Max's favorite person in the whole wide world. He just adores her and she is so good with him.


Max before the party and after showing off his park and going to the train depot to see a few trains come in and out. He's playing the harmonica, one of his birthday presents, from my cousin and her family that we gave him early.


Swimming in the pool with his Aunt TT and CC. Notice the crystal clear water.


Blowing out the candles on the cake which I made and CC decorated. I can't believe I forgot to take a picture before we cut it.


Max sleeping in his new "big boy" bed. Worn out by the fun and excitement. He did pretty good all day and especially at the party considering he was very short on sleep with that whole no nap thing going on, but he was so darn tired by the end.


My cousin and her family with their dog and Max. We have a tradition of taking family pictures of them out back since they were little. It is amazing to see them grow through the years and the back yard change and grow as well. We had talked about doing one, then there was the rush to leave, etc. CC was crying. Everyone else was packing. I asked if we wanted to do one. It was funny. Everyone stopped what they were doing immediately and here is the result.

It's funny. We actually had as many dogs at Max's party as kids...with Shadow and our foster dog Nikki, Ozzi my cousins dog, and Fiona and Romeo my sister's two new puppies. It all worked out with only one minor altercation between Nikki and Romeo when Romeo wouldn't leave Nikki alone and stop licking her face. She gave a firm bark and Romeo squealed and was a bit traumatized...just a young pup still learning his manners.

Like I said, a fun day, a fun party, a fun weekend. Almost ready for bed. Just need to take the dogs out for a quick nightly business call. I almost always pick up the house before bed, but elected to spend time on the computer instead and am just going to leave it for a change.

Max did come out once more about 20 minutes ago and asked for a quick rock in the rocking chair and some more milk, which I supplied with out talking to him or engaging with eye contact and he is out.

Oh my, my big boy who I love so. Two years ago Aunt TT and CC were here as well for his birth. I have the 17th schedule as a vacation day and was thinking I would not be able to take it, but think I will. Maybe do a trip to the Aquarium before our yearly pass expires. Otherwise, the celebrating is done. I haven't yet got him to say he is two, but wow-wee...where has the time gone?

1 comment:

Sharonk said...

Hi Deb, Max looks and sounds so much like my Lillian I had to leave a comment. She turned two in May and I love when I ask her, "how old are you?", she holds up her hand, trying to get the two fingers to work properly and says "TWO". His blond curls and fair skin, I swear they could be siblings. (I know they're not, but could pass for it). CC is like my niece Kim, Lillians' favorite person in the world. She just lights up when we see her. Like Max & CC. Love his big boy bed, I haven't been able to bring myself to do that yet, Lil isn't climbing in/out. She did once and fell hard so I think she's afraid. (yea). Did his crib convert to that bed? It's nice. He's such a cute little (big) guy. I love reading about him.

SharonK from the SMC board