Thursday, December 21, 2006

Mystery Rash

To quote myself…(after correcting a grammer error because while I am too lazy to go fix it in the original post, I can't just leave it wrong if I am going to repost it as a quote)

Max has red marks all over him and will scratch himself raw (made his leg bleed the other day) when you take his clothes off. Trying to determine if this is a problem, an allergy, or something I should be concerned with. He is totally fine when fully clothed.


Max had an appointment this afternoon for his second flu shot. Rather than just pulling up his sleeve, the nurse wanted me to undress him. When I did, the first thing he did was start scratching** so I made an off handed comment to the nurse about the rash and whether I should be concerned with it or not. She took a look and then went and got another nurse, I think the head nurse, to look at it. She felt like a doctor needed to look at it prior to Max getting his flu shot, so we waited for a doctor. The doctor came in and took a look and wanted to have another doctor take a look at it. The other doctor came and took a look. Then, the two doctors left the room to discuss.

And, it is a mystery. Probably, a viral rash following the stomach virus or the cold/cough thing we got after than. Possibly, a weird chicken pox outbreak even though Max had the chicken pox vacine less than 6 months ago.* Potential bug bites or an allergy to laundry detergent or some other allergy.

If it is gone by Christmas, it is a viral rash.

If it comes and goes every 3 – 4 days for the next two weeks, it is Chicken Pox.

If it lingers, it is likely an allergy.

I’m ruling out bug bites, because there is no way the house or pets are infected with bugs. Not only do I keep them on flea/tick medicine, I have someone come once a month to spray. And, I am obsessive about bugs not being in the house. I would notice if they were in Max’s bed. Plus, no one else in the house (me) has been affected.

Bottom line, nothing really to worry about other than potentially affecting other people if it is the Chicken Pox. The doctor was really sweet and very concerned about our holiday plans. I told him they were limited as we are staying home and everyone coming has already had the Chicken Pox.

Treatment? Keep him lathered up in lotion and/or put hydrocortzone on the welts and watch it. It it is still problematic over time, I’ll let them know.

So, we didn’t get out of there until late. Got home 40 minutes after Max’s usual dinner time with him only fussing at the beginning of the ride home. Walked the dog letting Max walk most of the way since he hadn’t had much chance since I put him in the car to leave for his appointment right after he woke up from his nap. We bypassed bath and books tonight making to to bed only 15 – 20 minutes late.

Since it was so late, I did not call or stop by my RE’s office, which is right near Max’s pediatrians office to show Max off or beg for another u/s just to make sure that my ovaries were still not responding. I have been having some pressure in my ovary area (mostly left) that I am slightly worried about, especially if I am not producing any follicles.

Which reminds me of an intersting tid bit I learned in my consult with Dr. A the other day. Even if you are on birth control pills, your body still recrutes follicles which are obsorbed (?) instead of being ovulated. Thus, your FSH would not be falsly low if say…you were on BCP’s for 20 years or so…like I was prior to ttc’ing. Dr. A said, that since my FSH was so low, he thought there was something else going on and that it was not menopause or ovarian decensitization (which I don’t really understand yet at this point) because both are associated with an elevated FSH of which I do not have. Even if my Inhibin B is so low.

* I told the doctor that I thought you typically had a fever when you had the Chicken Pox. He said, yes typically, but that is not always true when a person has previously had the vacine. And, Max did have a fever the other day.

** I guess I should note that Max often has skin abnormalities for lack of a better word since his skin is so fair. So, it is not unusual for him to have bumps or rashes that come and go, but they have never been itchy. And, I guess it is the itchiness that makes the difference and was a cause for closer scrutiny.

No comments: